Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

=The Warwick Dolphin Club=

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Pepper Wadman, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Gnermo

Gnermo

Older video I have saved of a guy from the Dutch bass forum who owned a Dolphin back in 2013.
    Amazing player.

2. Dazed

Dazed Good Vibe Sponsor

Wallowing in the blood and mud with all the other
    Wombatboter has skillz!!

3. zomnius

zomnius Good Vibe Sponsor

yes he haz.

4. Scott French

Scott French

Hello! Many beautiful Dolphins in this thread! This is my first post here although I have read through this forum many times while doing web searches over the years. I've just recently joined the club and picked up a 1990 Pro I! It's a beautiful bass, although very well used. I'm looking to take some photos over the upcoming holiday. I also had a 1992 Boire/Satin for many years and briefly a 1998 Birdseye Pro I. I sold my original Dolphins years ago when money was tight and was never able to replace them. It took a long time to find another Boire Dolphin even when I was able to make it work financially. I feel pretty lucky to have finally found another after a few years of looking. On that topic, does anyone have any idea how many Pro Is have been made? I am in the US and these almost never come up for sale, especially the early ones. I'm wondering if everyone is just sitting on them, or if there are just very few out there?

I am working on a little project outlining all the various Pro I changes over the years. Does any one have any photos of 1993 to 1997 Pro Is? I'm unsure when certain features were phased in and it's really hard to find anything about those years online so far. I got my first Dolphin around '99/00 when Bunny Bass was in full swing and I had a lot better handle on all the various changes at that point.

I'm attaching some photos of my 1992. If anyone has seen it, let me know! I sold it about 12 years ago.

dolphin02.jpg dolphin03.jpg

jester, Hoggles, PaulS and 1 other person like this.
  5. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

Hi Scott, welcome to the forum!

I am going to quote myself as I just dropped this reply in another thread:

Dazed likes this.
  6. DiMarco

Here's some images featuring my old 1989 4string, 1991 broadneck 5string fretless and the 1995 5string.
    1989 and 1995 5str.JPG 1989 Pro1.JPG 1991 Broadneck Pro1.JPG 1995 5str.JPG Threesome1.JPG Threesome2.JPG Threesome3.JPG Threesome4.JPG

zomnius, jester, verb and 3 others like this.
  7. ectoflanger

ectoflanger Supporting Member

8. Scott French

Scott French

Hi DiMarco! Thanks for much for that. I have most of these details already included in my little timeline. The few remaining ones I am working to fill are when the Satin/Platinum hardware stopped being used and when the volute started being used. I've seen 96s without the volute and 98s with a volute, but have never seen a 97 so I'm not sure what year they started.

That information about the mid 90s is news to me though. That's a bummer to hear about the quality going down. I know the neck on the 98 Birdseye Dolphin I had was very uncomfortable after getting used to the 92. I'll stick with the older models although they seem to be very difficult to find. I had an email into Warwick and they say that between 4 and 5 strings, there have been fewer than 500 Pro Is produced. I guess that explains why they are so hard to come by for sale.

Nice photos and thanks again!

9. Hoggles

Hoggles Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

So, Marco....has it happened? Has baby come home?

[​IMG]

Hardy and jester like this.
  10. DiMarco

The change from Bartolini to Mec happened in 1991, but not for the broadnecks.
    The change from Satin to Gold hardware as a standard happened somewhere in 1992.
    From 1995 on, the Dolphin (and other neckthrough models) are no longer handmade. You can see the shape is slightly different as well, especially on the top end of the body where your arm rests.
    In 1998, Warwick switch from Boire to Ovangkol for the Dolphin Pro1. In this year the necks are still 7 piece Wenge/Zebrano. This changed to Ovangkol laminated between 2001 and 2003 (I am not sure in which year) and in 2003 another switch was made to the Ovangkol neck as we know it, with the two thin maple veneer stripes.

If memory serves me correctly, the headstocks with volute were introduced somewhere in 1996. However I am not 100% sure of this.

I can look up more if you're also interested in the Pro2 and SN-TCS models.

Cheers, Marco

Hardy likes this.
  11. Scott French

Scott French

Thanks, Marco. That's more or less in line with what I have. The only big one is I thought the move away from "handmade" basses came much sooner. My 1992 didn't say handmade on it anywhere and seemed to have more in common body wise with the 1998 than this new 1990. The 90 has a bit different body than I was expecting in the curves. It's really nice. I had an 85 thumb at the time as well and the 92 seemed a little more polished than that or the 1990.

When I get this all in order I will post it up for everyone to pick apart and add to.

12. DiMarco

That would be awesome. Everything in one timeline.
    The move away from handmade afaik came in 1995 for the neckthrough models, I don't know about the bolt-on models.
    You can find a lot of good info here: The History of Warwick Bass

13. Scott French

Scott French

Here are a few shots of my 1990. I'm still working on the Pro I model history timeline, I will post it up soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    Hardy, zomnius, PaulS and 4 others like this.
  14. ectoflanger

ectoflanger Supporting Member

A beautiful bass you have there, Scott!

15. DiMarco

The '89-'90 ones are a special breed. Nothing like the more modern Dolphins in their tone. Both the old and the new are amazing!

16. RIP

RIP California U.S.A. Supporting Member

Wow!.....very nice!

17. Scott French

Scott French

Thanks for this link, DiMarco! I was able to pull a few details from there.

Here's the start of the Pro I timeline. There's still a lot I'd like to add. More photos and text in all of the timelines for sure. This has the rough time blocks in place though and a few photos.
    Warwick Dolphin Pro I Model History

DiMarco likes this.
  18. zomnius

zomnius Good Vibe Sponsor

cool hardware what colour is that?

19. Scott French

Scott French

I've seen it referred to as Platinum, Titanium, and Satin Chrome. It's basically a matte/brushed deal that was the standard offering on these for the first few years. The Warwick parts website lists some parts as "SC" which I am assuming means Satin Chrome. An old Warwick ad from 1993 that was posted here has it listed as "Platin" which I am assuming is short for Platinum.

20. DiMarco

[​IMG]

The latest incarnation of the one bass we all fear and love has three pots and a switch where the older ones have just two stacked pots. (which looks a hell of a lot better)
    Layout from what I understand is vol (pull for passive), bal, stacked bass+treb. This does not add any new possibilities.

The switch though has me puzzled. Is this a two way or a three way switch? IE does it switch between two modes like the old dolphins or does it now allow single/series/parallel?
    A man does not know.