Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

The Frankenthumb - And What To Do With It

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Toepfer, Jan 21, 2018.

1. DemBoneZ

DemBoneZ Supporting Member

awesome thread thanks for sharing !! looks perfect imo cant tell at all

Hardy, Toepfer and Hoggles like this.
  2. Toepfer

Toepfer Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

After the wax treatment - you can tell

Thumb-wax.jpg

Very interesting how the wood changes colour depending on the angle you look at it

Just need the cables for one of the pickups - then it's sound check time.

Stainless, Hardy, Hoggles and 2 others like this.
  3. Hoggles

Hoggles Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

It's always amazing how much the contrast changes with the wax. Just natural, it seemed perfect. Make no mistake, it's still a great repair. Nearly impossible to get that size of repair perfect under any circumstance, let alone a wood so unique as this. Great job!!

4. Toepfer

I'm still happy with it.
    Installed the Pickups yesterday (thanks Sascha) - Bartollinis rule!
    The neck pickup sounds awesome - a lot more bass and way smoother than the other thumb. But not that agressive.
    The bridge pickup is a little faint - may have to do with the pickup screws for the bridge pickup beeing to short so the pickup is to far from the strings.

I blackened the metal bushings - looks good.
    IMG_1007.jpg

So it sounds not so much like a "normal" (newer) Thumb 5 string but sounds great nonetheless. I like it a lot. The neck is just perfect.

More pictures to follow.

Hardy, Stainless, jester and 2 others like this.
  5. Henrythe8

Henrythe8 Dolphin Hoarder

Barts rulez. Sascha, too.

6. Toepfer

A short info on what happened in the meantime.

I was in contact with HPW, because the Bartolinis did't realy work, the way I expected them to work - the B string was about half as loud as the other 4. So I asked him, if he got an idea.
    He told me that they changed the angle of the pickups because of exactly that problem. The B sting doesn't realy touch the coils enough, so after about a year Warwick changed the pickup angle, to get an equaly loud B string. (why it took them a year to realize this - I don't know, you can hear that immediately) I find this very annoying because you kind of get a 5 sting bass but you can realy just use 4 of the strings.

So I went back to EMGs because HPW said that the coils could be alitte longer and they should work better than the Barts - which they do, but it's still not as loud (or defined) as the other 4 string. If I would have known that from the start, I would have changed the pickup angle. Now I start to understand why someone changed the pickup layout of the bass in the first place.

So what to do now? 6 String Soapbars? If possible something that doesn't require too much routing :) At least something that doesn't require to start over.

In the meantime the bass got a fret job, so it's great to play and has 4 strings that sound great as well. Did I mention that this is by far the best neck I ever held in my hands?