Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Studio Monitors

Discussion in 'Bass Pedals, Effects & Preamps' started by PaulS, Feb 10, 2018.

1. PaulS

PaulS Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

hey guys just curious what everyone uses for home studio monitors. I have an older pair of Alexis M1 that are on their way out , and looking for suggestions.

What do you use?

2. Jay2U

Jay2U Good Vibe Sponsor

I use a set of Behringer MS40 speakers. About 140 Euros, if I remember well. Not very special, quite comparable to the Alexis M1's, I suppose.

PaulS likes this.
  3. TheHardOne

TheHardOne

I run a pair of Yamaha HS7s. I bought them on a promo through Guitar Center, though I can't quite remember what that promo was. Anywho, I remember trying to decide between the Yamaha and KRK ROKIT 8's... to my inexperienced ear, the Yamaha seemed to have a sound that was a bit more balanced than the ROKIT's. YMMV there but I've been nothing but happy with the Yamaha's.

PaulS likes this.
  4. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

Adam A3X nearfields, and a couple of old high end TDL Studio3 transmission line speakers as mains. The latter reach down to 24hz within 3db. No subwoofer needed.

PaulS likes this.
  5. Toepfer

Toepfer Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

A set of Spendor Typ SA1 - oldschool

PaulS likes this.
  6. PaulS

Thanks for the replies guys, gives me somewhere to start

7. Nightmaresandconclusions

Nightmaresandconclusions

I use JBL LSR6328P with the LSR6312SP sub. total over kill in a home set up but I love them and will keep them for ever.

I think with studio monitors, almost anything will really do as long as you keep them for ages so you learn how they translate to the real world.

In most home studios your room will have more of an effect on sound. In my room for instance its a small square box and I tend to always mix bass heavy. So you compensate in your head, Listen on other systems, car etc

I used to have M1s and they were great. Then went to LSR4326P digital monitors then upgraded to the LSR6328 series. Better imaging, Higher SPL and I was lucky to be working for JBL at the time so got them at a good price.

8. PaulS

I do like th M1s but the build issues have made me swear off Alesis. Had issues with them shorting out, and Alesis refused to help me out because the were slightly out of warranty. Turned out to be a design flaw where the the electronics would overheat because they were placed too close together. I actually have a mixed pair, one of the M1 and one of my late brother's older Alesis. His other one burned out too. They didn't acknowledge the issue, so yeah, not buying from them anymore. I just want something reliable and wanted to know what works for guys