Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Show Your Pedalboards (Evo) Then

Discussion in 'Bass Pedals, Effects & Preamps' started by James Hoy, Jun 11, 2009.

1. PaulS

PaulS Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Wow you guys are unbelievable with the boards! Curious how long it might take you to work up a tone for a specific cover given the amount of pedals u have. How long does it take to figure out what combos get the tone u need, in addition to your pickup configuration?

RIP likes this.
  2. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris

I play mostly originals, so I have a slightly different take on this.

For me, working up a tone simply means getting the pedal dialed in. I'm a set-and-forget type. In other words, even though many pedals have many different tones in them, I tend to want one thing from each pedal, and try to dial in the "ideal" setting for each. Then I have "my" fuzz tone, "my" autowah tone, etc.

Many writers enjoy using effects for inspiration, but I personally am not one of them. For me, the effects used (if any) are the last step in the process. I may actually have an effect in mind from the beginning of the writing process, but I'm too lazy to get out the board and set it up every time I want to write music. In fact, I often don't even bother plugging the bass in. The bass is such a "mix dependent" instrument that I really don't see much point in trying to settle on tones until I'm playing with the band.

The effects I use or don't use on a particular tune may evolve over time. I'd say within a few weeks of introducing a new tune to my band, I have a pretty good idea of what, if anything, I want to use on it.

RIP likes this.
  3. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

Because well yeah...

fxboard_jan2018.jpg

ectoflanger, RIP and Bassist4Eris like this.
  4. Foal30

Foal30 Supporting Member

Here is image.jpeg

XXL, RIP and Bassist4Eris like this.
  5. Foal30

Foal30 Supporting Member

Wrong photo but
    Sadowsky Pre/DI- Wounded Paw Attack Goat - Tech 21 Chorus - EBS Filter - 3Leaf Audio Filter- Diamond Bass Comp - Korg Tuner - Boss BF2 Flanger - Boss PBEQ3- Dunlop Bas Wah

6. DiMarco

This morning I did an octaver shootout between the bass whammy, zeus and mxr. With and without fuzz and distortion. The fattest sounding is the mxr, but sadly this pedal does not seem to like the output level of my Dolphin Pro1. Clearest and most precise is the whammy so that pedal stays in the chain. Zeus and mxr oct are off the board. Oh and the whammy is polyphonic as well so chords won't confuse it.

The DLS overdrive also doesn't like my Warwick so off she goes.

Bassist4Eris likes this.
  7. DiMarco

When playing covers often a "similar" tone is good enough. The tone I get for our muse covers is better then the original, now if only I were as good a bassplayer as Chris...

8. XXL

XXL

Really happy with this set up:
    Doc Lloyd - Broughton - Wren & Cuff - Strymon - Electro Harmonix

24D052B2-7B04-44F7-9304-7B9E3C3FB267.jpeg

Foal30, Bassist4Eris and RIP like this.
  9. Foal30

Foal30 Supporting Member

I only know 2 pedals on that board
    "Cultural backwater blues"

XXL likes this.
  10. jester

jester Moderator Moderator

11. XXL

XXL

:D

Well... Doc Lloyd is a new pedal company, as in barely a year old. Broughton is a Talk Bass builder and used to do custom pedal work, now he's quite popular on TB and has just off the shelf pedals.
    Strymon I am surprised you haven't heard of. Wren and Cuff has been out for over 10 years now and is really known for making quality muff fuzzes for bass as well as guitar and recently started branching out to other styles. I'm sure the Electro Harmonix are the pedals you know... they have been around since what the late 60's?

Man I am loving the Two Five drive. Amazing pedal!!

Bassist4Eris and RIP like this.
  12. DiMarco

After lots of testing, the compressor is off the board an in the amp's fx loop.
    This makes a small but hefty board possible. No hum or any other unwanted noise, powered by a single Voodoo ISO5.

Combining the Wowee wah with the Alpha-Omega is a lot of fun!

tinyfxboard_feb2018.jpg

XXL and Bassist4Eris like this.
  13. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris

I've thought many times about doing this with my Markbass Compressore. Even if I didn't end up liking it in the effects loop, I'm using it last in line anyway. I figure I could use a four-space rack, with my two-space head on top, and the pedal stashed underneath. Or vice versa I suppose.

14. DiMarco

It works great if you don't boost a lot of bottom end on the amp itself, or if your compressor has a high pass filter built into it.
    If you boost too much low end then that is what the compressor will be working with mostly... A situation that isn't optimal.

15. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris

I'm not much of a bass booster. I go for a more midrange-focused sound, with a crisp top end for slap.

16. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris

Today I swapped out the Boss PH-3 for my newest toy, the Source Audio Orbital Modulator. I was hoping it could replace the chorus too, but alas, that was not to be. I really dislike the chorus in the Orbital, although I love the phaser. (More details in my Orbital thread).

I was also having trouble with my Boss OC-2 Octave. It needs a new input jack, so I took it off, and put the SYB-5 Bass Synth in its place as a placeholder. I hate the SYB-5, so I figure one of two things will happen. One, it will be motivation to get the OC-2 fixed, or two, I'll finally make friends with the SYB-5 and write some cool stuff for it.

One other problem was that the power supply to the Markbass Compressore had developed a short. I could have sworn I had a spare, but I can't find it. I've ordered a replacement. In the meantime the Compressore is dead, but because it's true bypass, it can stay right in the chain and the signal just passes on through.

upload_2018-2-4_16-20-20.png

ectoflanger and XXL like this.
  17. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris

And....

I already took the SYB-5 off. I just can't get anything musical out of that pedal. I threw my Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive in its place.

I really like the Sparkle Drive, and that is causing me a dilemma. I really need the octave pedal for one of my band's songs. If I'm going to have both, then something else has to go.

I really need to think long and hard about that Chorus. There's got to be a setting in that Orbital that can sweeten up my pretty chord sections in a similar way.

OK, back to the lab...

18. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris

I need to keep the Sparkle Drive on this board! To make room, I'm going to experiment with a no-chorus setup for awhile. I've got a really pretty flanger sound dialed in from the Orbital, and I'm going to use that in lieu of chorus for awhile and see how it goes.

Here's a new groove I've been messing with. This is the Sparkle Drive feeding into the Orbital (in phaser mode). I added a bit of compression in Audacity too. Dropbox - slap riff 02042018.mp3

Here's another new idea, which demonstrates the flanger setting I've been using. No other effects were used. Dropbox - pretty chords 02042018.mp3

da-vonk, XXL and RIP like this.
  19. RIP

RIP California U.S.A. Supporting Member

Sounds great Beef

XXL likes this.
  20. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris

Thanks RIP :)