Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Show Your Pedalboards (Evo) Then

Discussion in 'Bass Pedals, Effects & Preamps' started by James Hoy, Jun 11, 2009.

1. James Hoy

James Hoy

I looked around and didn't see any post your pedalboard threads. This seemed like the appropriate subforum for it as well. I know that FX aren't for everyone, but if you love to caress your tone with stomp boxes or multi FX let's see them. I'll post mine as an evolution from the start, but if you don't want to go to the trouble just show your current incarnations.

For a while, this was the only effect that I had, and I honestly didn't use it that much. I could never really get good sound out of it. Perhaps it wasn't an active friendly pedal. Perhaps I was too much of a noob...

[​IMG]

I got my real start about this time last year. The Sansamp PBDDI was the first pedal and I needed it to (erroneously) push a poweramp. It worked for getting started out, but now I have a proper Rackmount Preamp. As you can see I didn't even have the proper cables. The Synth Wah replaced the Q-Tron because it was 9v operable instead of 24v

[​IMG]

Then some cheap pedals popped up on Craigslist. For the record I don't recommend the Nano Clone,...serious volume drop. Also let the record show that the kitty's name is Leroy (and it's a she...:lol:)

[​IMG]

I got a proper rackmount preamp so I traded the PBDDI for the ToadWorks Redux Delay which has great little offset feature. Kind of a multi tap sort of thing. ToadWorks is a local Spokane company.

[​IMG]

A Boss SD-2 came up for sale on Craigslist for a good deal and since I wasn't too pleased with the Digitech I picked it up. The Digitech lives at one of my guitarists house,...he dislikes it too haha. The Nano Clone also got the boot.

[​IMG]

I added a TU-2,...because nothing is worse than being out of tune. I'd prefer a Korg Pitchblack or a Sonic Research ST-200, but the Boss was cheap.

[​IMG]

This is how it lived for a while until I scored an awesome MIJ (1982...first year) OC-2 off of eBay. The OC-2 is probably my most loved pedal on the board. I set it completely wet, with no direct level,...and no OCT.2. Great wet synthy organ sound, add a little OD, or Fuzz and I'm in heaven.

[​IMG]

I was finding delay to be more useful on my MicroKORG, so off it went to pull synth noise duty. I just haven't found a use for delay on bass. Maybe if I wound up in a Tool tribute band. The "Lake Trout" pedal is just a passive DI box. I thought I'd leave it on my board for whatever reason, but it no longer lives there. I keep it just in case. Lake Trout is a great band from Baltimore Maryland BTW. Oh Yeah, My second most prized pedal is the Earthbound Audio Supercollider. Great Muff based fuzz pedal with a mid knob. Awesome on bass. Wall of sound as opposed to gated synthy fuzz (which I like too,...Woolly Mammoth for the win).

[​IMG]

Just went through some signal path changes and settled on this incarnation after the arrival of the Music Electronix Submarine came in. It's a preamp/clean boost. The tone knob helps dial in a good "sit in the mix" sound. Roll the tone back and it will get to a nice warm dub/reggae sound as well. It does a lot to warm up my tone and tame harsh and brittle highs. I like it.

[​IMG]

Lastly I picked up an EB VP Jr. 6180 (250k). These get a lot of bad press and while I haven't tried it without using the tuner out,...I don't hear any tone suck. The passive pot seems to work well with the active electronics. I've read that using a buffered bypass pedal in front of it helps to eliminate any tone loss. I got a good deal on this at a pawn shop, and have found some fun uses for it with the OC-2 and the Fuzz on. I actually appreciate having the TU-2 "out" of the signal path.

[​IMG]

Now that this board is full,...I'll probably invest in some George L's or other solderless cable kits,...(or perhaps acquire some soldering skills) and get the wires a little better sorted out.

Future plans are for a Pedaltrain and adding a proper chorus, a 3Leaf Groove Regulator and a Music Electronix Gemini Drive,...perhaps a TBP Loop. Also want to start picking up some MoogerFoogers, but alas,...they are pricey pedals.

Thanks bearing with this long *** post and share your pedalboards.

8:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2009
  2. Boyitz

Boyitz

Good Ol Lake Trout. Nice post. I sold all of my pedals. :(

3. golem

golem Philosopher King

There's nothing to stomp,
    but this IS my FX chain: ​

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2009
  4. Vinnie

Vinnie

Love them. Although the Boss tuner is gone now.
    [​IMG]

5. jester

jester Moderator Moderator

Where's the power amp?

BTW nice post Mr. Hoy.

6. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

I don't think I have any pictures specifically of my pedalboard, but currently it's:

Aphex Punch Factory (compressor)
    MXR M-80 Bass DI+ (bass driver/distortion)
    DigiTech Whammy (pitch shifter)
    Boss CEB-3 (bass chorus).

But I've been thinking about swapping a couple out and/or adding some new things. We'll see. ;)

7. Callum

Callum

I don't have pics but my pedal board is currently:

Korg G5 - synth pedal
    Maxon Envelope filter
    Akai Head rush E2 delay/loop

only things i really need is a bypass pedal as the G5 sucks tone and some distortion/OD pedal. I'd like to upgrade the Akai to a boss looper and am waiting on the mark bass synth pedal to get some reviews, but its looking likely i'll be upgrading the G5, or more than likely have them both, as i could get some really cool sounds that way.

8. James Hoy

James Hoy

Thanks for all the replies lads. ;)

I want to get a headrush myself. For my purposes a simple looper is fine. I may even go with the RC-2 because of it's small foot print. I just need something to give little repeated rhythmic bleeps and bloops here and there.

I also want a Synth. I've been eyeballing the EHX Bass Micro Synth but am down with some of the other stuff. The Markbass pedals are too new. I don't even think the are available in the US yet. Other synths are just way to up there in price. Old Akai Deep Impacts and the Chunk System Octavius Squeezers are way out of my budget at the moment.

Keep em coming.

9. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Supporting Member

:)
    This is my old pedal board, I am using now only one of them - the Korg tuner.
    The BassBalls is modified, it has a wet/ dry extra pot.
    The expression pedal was linked to an EQ, with a huge boost on the low side. When I was keeping the pedal down, the eq was on. It was a nice way to boost only some of the notes ;-)

Attached Files:

10. James Hoy

James Hoy

Did you mean to attach a photo to this Flo?

11. Florin

But it is a photo :) I can see it both in my post, and in your quote too.

12. James Hoy

James Hoy

***deleted image tags to show URL***

Aha,....A little digging reveals that I need to register with xbass.ro in order to access the page. Probably why I'm not able to see the photo...sorry Fro...:shock:. I thought you were putting me on there for a moment. :d

13. Florin

edited, sorry :)

I forgot about that!

14. James Hoy

James Hoy

Cool,

Thanks Florin. I see it now.

I would have loved to hear that Bassballs with the mod on it. I dig the EQ pedal deal as well,...very clever.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2009
  15. Florin

16. trujo777

trujo777

since I started using Warwicks the only one I use is a little chorus and that is usually in the amp included or no effects now.

17. James Hoy

James Hoy

18. Florin

yes, I have to look for it :))

19. BassRunner911

BassRunner911 Warwick Endorser

[​IMG]

Sorry for the quality. Only camera I had on hand was my Blackberry

It's a Peterson stroboflip tuner, Analogman chorus, MXR carbon copy, MXR phase 90, Russian Big Muff, Sansamp programmable bass driver, and the footswitch to my Trace Elliot combo

20. dluoma

dluoma

pedal board

here's mine. my svt tube di will be moved to my amp to make room for a EH pog2 and Wah[​IMG]