Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Show Us Your Non- Warwick Bass Then!

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Vinnie, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Hoggles

Hoggles Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Unfortunately we had to stop hosting new pics on the forum server (if you're a "supporting member", you can post small pics directly to the server). You'll need to use a picture hosting site (I use Flickr) and use the URL of the picture, via the image link, in the icons above.

It's right next to the emoji smiley face, when typing a message ^

2. PaulS

PaulS Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

What do u grab from Flickr? Cause lately none of the options work

3. Hoggles

Hoggles Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

You have to click on the menu that shows all available sizes of that pic. Then just choose one of the resolutions, right click to find image location. Been working for me.

4. PaulS

PaulS Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Ok thx I was trying to use the links they provide when I choose share

Hoggles likes this.
  5. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

Try imgbb or tinypic. Both work fine, Tinypic resizes images for you to cut load times on mobiles.

6. Henrythe8

Henrythe8 Dolphin Hoarder

OooOoOOps, I did it again. Bought this cheap, because I love the shape. this EDA 905 features a "luthite" body, (otherwise called "plastic") maple neck and rosewood fingerboard, Ibanez Pickup and Fishman Piezo.
    In addition to a weird shape special pickups and weird materials, the controls are counter intuitive as you have Magentic p"up vol, Piezo Volume, bass/treble boost for the magnetic pickup (in one "tone control", Treble control for the piezo.
    Bass control for the piezo are on a trim pot behind the bass, as well as a gain for the piezo. Go figure.
    I wanted to replace the pickup and make a single p'up special live easy bass. But it appears that the size of those pickups are utterly weird. So no direct replacement is possible. Either I take a smaller p'up and find a way to cover the holes, either I start machining the plastic. Which I'm not sure will endure machining. Maybe replace the piezo single bridge, too, 'cuz I don't need piezos.
    Sound wise, this is also VERY different. Sustain is weak, but attack is precise, even fingerstyle you can find a pick sound. Tailored for metal, I'd say, and heavy rock. The weird shape is very comfy, the bass is light, very well balanced, 18/19mm string spacing is a wee bit too tight for me, but manageable.
    It'ss probably not be my favourite bass ever, but if i can tune it with a decent p'up and preamp, I might have a powerful modern P-Bass 5.

[​IMG]

DemBoneZ, jester, Hoggles and 3 others like this.
  7. jester

jester Moderator Moderator

So you got one after all. I remember you eyeballing an ad for one, not sure if it is the same you had shown me. Bummer with the pickup. I would have thought that with so many different shapes and sizes something would fit. Do you think it's the piezo or perhaps the luthite body for the precise attack?

Your comment about the bass being used in a metal context is interesting. Here's such a situation, in case you guys wanna check it out:

It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings.

RIP likes this.
  8. Henrythe8

Yes, it's the one I was looking at. Advertised for 350€, which was fair but not a deal. 6 months later I offered 200€ and the guy was OK (With a semi hard shellcase).
    The sound is good but not great, I'm sure I can do something about it. I'd say the precise attack is a mix from body and piezo. Even with the piezo dialled off, it's still agressive, but manageable. WIth the piezo, depending on the blend and how much you dial treble, it's from badass to harsh-glass-breakin-ass-kicking agressive.

This instrument is way too different to have a career. Not bad sounding, but very far from a standard. With the controls you have a wide array of sounds, but none are standards. It's like being in a wedding in India or China. Plenty of food, but not one that you know how to eat.
    I personnaly like it, and I have yet to see how it performs in band practive, recorded, and live, to give a final statement.
    One thing is sure: it's one of the most comfortable basses I played.

jester and Hoggles like this.
  9. jester

jester Moderator Moderator

Ibanez does have ergonomics as a prime priority. I suspect this thingy will be vewy vewy interesting combined with some arcane effectology. Think about envelope filter for example, because of its attack.

10. Henrythe8

It works pretty well with auto-wah, yes. I finally managed to get a proper sound by tweaking the weird controls. Funnily enough, the piezo has more low freq than the magnetic pickup. So I boosted the bass of the piezo to add some Oomph. Treble are flat, or completely cut, and the control of the magnetic pickups are flat or bass/treble boost. (The Tone control is in fact a bass treble boost/cut in one knob. so it's flat, of fully scooped, or fully peaked in the middle. weird.
    Rehearsal tonite with the Line6 bass pod, I hope it'll sound good.

11. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

A friend of mine had that exact model. It is made of and sounds like plastic, but plays like butter. Back then I didn't know what to make of it. His other bass was an EBMM Stingray so the blue plastic was a backup.

12. Henrythe8

Rehearsal yesterday, it confirms the first feelings : sound is VERY particular, BUT and that's where I like technology, through the Line6 BassPod, with some eqing and amp simulation, I managed to get a really phat, seventies sound. There are still a lot of possibilities to explore, but sound-wise, like @jester said, it's the ideal bass to add some effects on.
    The drawback is, it's more a 18.5mm string spacing, and this very little difference is causing me some right hand trouble. If it weren't for the material, I would change the place of the individual bridges, but I fear the Luthite is too flaky.
    Great bass for the price I paid, anyway.

Hoggles likes this.
  13. Foal30

Foal30 Supporting Member

L2 Steinberger
    Gave it a right thrashing last night

image.jpeg image.jpeg

14. Nightmaresandconclusions

Nightmaresandconclusions

My non warwick hanging with the team.

20180825_122851_resized.jpg