Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

NBD - streamer NT1

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by tomersg, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Rehan

Rehan Supporting Member

The stock preamp may be a big part of what is making it sound too bright for you. Not sure though, as we all hear things differently. Personally, it was way too bright for me. When I swapped it out for the Aggie preamp, I got a much warmer, thicker, beefier sound than the stock preamp. But I am a big fan of active electronics.

Hardy and Gerry like this.
  2. Gerry

Gerry

I had a SS2 from the 1990's that needed a battery at all times. I think it was active but it was a beast! So yeah, when done right, active is very good.

Rehan likes this.
  3. jester

jester Moderator Moderator

I 'd say give active a chance Gerry! You can always roll off treble. Also, your tone will most probably improve with a better preamp. Then there's the issue of noise, zero noise. It's a big deal, at least for me. :)

Gerry and Rehan like this.
  4. Gerry

Gerry

Just watched the Proline videos again and Andy says they are the same pickups and electronics as in the CS line.
    So, it seems the difference between the Proline and RB, for this model, is the different body wings and the pre.... and where they're made. Was actually trying to decide if to just get a SS1 proline.
    My $$ stays passive.

Rehan likes this.
  5. Gerry

Gerry

You're right about that. I just played through my HB and Eden rigs through a Berg NV610t and it sounded really good. The neck is really flat now and still settling so I'm getting a bit of buzz at the nut but I'll see if I can get a quickly clip up. You guys have any sound or video clips? Not much on YouTube.

Rehan likes this.
  6. Gerry

Gerry

Here's what mine sounds like when I'm up trying to play when I should be sleeping, lol. I'll compare after the preamp switch. I ordered the OBP-2.

tomersg, RIP, Rehan and 1 other person like this.
  7. jester

Very cool playing and ghost notes. One aspect of the setup you may want to see is the pickup heights. But your bass sounds pretty nice, like that has been given attention to. I'm curious to hear the difference with the same amp settings. Or are you recording direct?

Rehan likes this.
  8. Gerry

Gerry

Thanks. It's direct, into a Zoom mixer. I'm still working on the set up, because the neck is still settling. Sounds like i should drop the pickups a little and raise the nut a pinch. I'll keep experimenting until the new pre arrives. It's not at it's best through my V4b and Lo Cab but really good through my other stuff.

Rehan and jester like this.
  9. Rehan

Rehan Supporting Member

By the way Gerry, the MEC Gold Active pickups in your Streamer NT I are the same as the ones in the Streamer Stage II. So your Streamer NT I has the same pickups your 90’s SSII had. :)

I still own a ‘94 SSII fiver as well as a 2015 SSII fiver and they both have the same pickups. Below is a pic of the 2015 SSII 5 next to the 2016 Streamer NT I 5. I installed Aguilar OBP preamps in both. ;) I’m still waiting to receive the replacement gold knobs I ordered to fit the Aggie preamp in this 2015 SSII which arrived to me last week so there are black knobs on it ATM. But FYI Gerry, the stock knobs on the Streamer NT I will work just fine for the OBP-2 preamp you ordered as long as you use split shaft pots when you install it, so no need to replace.

CB73C084-7A99-435A-B38F-E0176596046F.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018 at 4:22 AM
    aguacollas, RIP, Gerry and 1 other person like this.
  10. Rehan

Rehan Supporting Member

Here is a quick selfie iPhone video I made last summer playing a slap groove on my Streamer NT I 4 with an Aguilar OBP-2 preamp onboard. In this video I played through a TecAmp Puma 900 amp and TecAmp S212 Classic cab.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    RIP, jester and DiMarco like this.
  11. Gerry

Gerry

Hey, nice tone there! I dig the reverse P a lot. Too bad my SR655 came with a defective preamp. The reverse P on a 5 string isn't very common out here.
    I was playing this morning after taking your advise regarding a proper set up and my girl thought I switched the preamp already, lol. I know a set up makes a difference but wow. It seems the active pups didn't like being that close to the strings. Less overdriven lows that are focused like a Streamer should be and the highs are actually quite silky, when flat. I'm still doing the pre since its on the way and I really don't like the feel of the stock. I'd like to stay active as well, since that's one of the things that distinguish this bass from my others. Thanks again. I'm glad this place is still friendly and helpful.

jester and Rehan like this.
  12. jester

I'm so glad the pickup heights helped. It's this group brainstorming that is good for everyone ultimately.

Rehan and Gerry like this.
  13. tomersg

tomersg

another video i made with my NT1

Gerry, Rehan and RIP like this.
  14. RIP

RIP California U.S.A. Supporting Member

Sweet!

Gerry, tomersg and Rehan like this.
  15. RIP

Another sweet video!......BTW @Rehan I put a OBP-2 pre in my Thumb bass and really liked it to.

Gerry and Rehan like this.
  16. RIP

And yet another sweet video!......I'm obviously getting caught up on this thread :)

Rehan likes this.
  17. Gerry

Gerry

Hey, thanks! I'm actually about to repost a better take. Not many clear clips out there and now that I got the set up under control, I want those doing researc, like was, to at least hear the bass clearly. Editing now.

RIP, Rehan and jester like this.
  18. Gerry

Gerry

Man, that's a tight slap tone! Sounds a lot like the German SS1. I won't be with my band until this friday at the studio. I'll most likely bring the $$, since it's a reggae situation but i'll try to record.

tomersg likes this.
  19. Gerry

Gerry

For those doing resaerch. Seems my intonation is a bit out and my Zoom mixer is adding some kind of punchy compression, but since I can't play in front of a camera anyway, lol...
    I tried a few styles and eq settings.

RIP, tomersg, Rehan and 1 other person like this.
  20. Hardy

Hardy Good Vibe Sponsor

Red light syndrome? ;)

RIP likes this.