Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

For Better Or Worse…..when Bands Change Members

Discussion in 'Band Management' started by RIP, May 15, 2018.

1. RIP

RIP California U.S.A. Supporting Member

I’ll start

Van Halen…..yeah they started going more “Pop” Rock with songs like “Jump” and Eddie playing keyboard, but when they brought in Sammy IMO they lost their mojo…..they where never same

What do you got?

2. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

AC/DC
    Iron Maiden
    Yes
    Alice in Chains
    Fleetwood Mac
    Queen

By choice or not, changing singers is always a drastic vibe altering thing.

Oh and David Lee Roth had so much stage presence nothing could replace him.
    Poor sammy.

jester and RIP like this.
  3. Henrythe8

Henrythe8 Dolphin Hoarder

We switched singers, once. For the better as the forst singer was not good and the present female singer is good. Looking. And singing.
    For the "knwn" nads, I think that sometimes it helps, sometimes, not. But for the singer, yes, it chenges.
    DiMArco, you forgot SkidRow. NOthing xould replace Sebastian Bach.

4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris

I was just reflecting the other day that many times the most iconic singers in certain bands were not the original singers. This seems to happen a lot in metal. Iron Maiden, Anthrax, Exodus, Faith No More (if you count them as metal) and Helloween all come quickly to mind. But also Journey. I guess these would all be examples of "for the better", but reasonable people might differ in the case of Iron Maiden.

Fleetwood Mac (obviously not a metal band) has already been noted. Here in America, the first nine Fleetwood Mac albums might as well not even exist. For most yanks, it all starts with Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, and Christine McVie. And most of us think "Black Magic Woman" is a Santana original.

5. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris

How about Black Sabbath? They've been through a lot of singers, but I'd say only the first two really matter. I seem to be in a minority in thinking that Ozzy is a fantastic singer. But he really is. With Dio, on the other hand, there's no question. That dude was one of the greatest metal singers ever.

Anyway, whichever way you lean, it's a great example of the premise of the thread. Changing singers in this case changed the whole sound of the band, right down to the tempos. The Ozzy era tended to be slow to medium tempos. As soon as Dio joined there were quite a few fast tunes on the records. Between the change in voice and the change in musical style, they sounded like a whole different band.

6. Hardy

Hardy Good Vibe Sponsor

PANTERA!!! Phil made them great! Sad how the whole thing ended.

In our band we all in all were 11 different members. Within 6 years! Only the singer and me are still original members (we two founded the band). Always the new members were bringing in something new, something that helped us to get forward. But also every member who left was a kind of loss. They left to study or work in different places or founded own bands. It´s not easy to build up a constant fan crowd this way. Every listener has a different opinion about your music, has an own reason why he/she follows the band. This can get lost when a member leaves the band. Otoh we are a bunch of weekend warriors and not a bigger band which has to follow the rules of a business company. Still I hope that the current line up will stay together for a loooong time!

RIP likes this.
  7. RIP

RIP California U.S.A. Supporting Member

How about Metalica, Trujillio is probably my favorite bassist on the planet, mostly because of what he did with Infectious, but during the Burton days I think the band was true unrefined metal. Maybe it was just the evolution of the band when Jason and Robert showed up, but in the beginning the band was much more hard core

Florin likes this.
  8. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

They should fire Lars.
    Also, Jason was boring.

9. Henrythe8

Henrythe8 Dolphin Hoarder

Jason was boring, but efficient. I like efficient. Bob trujillo has all my respect, but I don't "like" his sound.

10. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Supporting Member

That's Metallica bass sound. No bass, all drums.

RIP likes this.
  11. jester

jester Moderator Moderator

I don't think it had to do with the bassist. In the early days everyone is more hard core. :)

Florin and RIP like this.
  12. Toepfer

Toepfer Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Marillion - after Fish left (a long time ago), it never was the same again. I love the music but don't get the singer at all.

RIP and Florin like this.