Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Does Gear Matter?

Discussion in 'Maddrakkett's Caffe' started by jester, May 21, 2018.

1. ectoflanger

ectoflanger Supporting Member

Yes.

adi, Florin and Hardy like this.
  2. zomnius

zomnius Good Vibe Sponsor

yes you do

ectoflanger likes this.
  3. Henrythe8

Henrythe8 Dolphin Hoarder

Well for this you don't NEED it. A Squier P can do BOOM BOOM.
    But a Fodera can help getting that Defined B, the slight push of air afeter the B, the slight a before the distinct double O and the sustain in the M
    BhaOOMmm.

Florin, ectoflanger and Bassist4Eris like this.
  4. zomnius

zomnius Good Vibe Sponsor

hahahaha cool

5. adi

adi

yes but nowhere near as much as playing

Florin, jester and RIP like this.
  6. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

You can't play without gear
    You can own gear without playing.

Gear matters most.

ectoflanger and Hardy like this.
  7. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris

Gear is fun, but I definitely spent a few years where I was obsessing over YouTube demos more than I was actually playing. At that point I was overdoing it. I often say that going broke was the best thing that could happen to me musically at that point. I had to get back to playing the gear I already owned.

ectoflanger, adi and jester like this.
  8. bluejay

bluejay

Moving away from my previous, half-serious post, I will elaborate.
    Yes, gear is extremely important. And not because the more 'things' you buy, the more opportunities there are to show off your most recent expensive purchase to your friends and bandmates.
    Think about it: if you like the way your bass plays, sounds and - why not? - looks, you will not be able to walk past it without picking it up and noodling at least a bit. Your practice sessions will be longer and more enjoyable, especially if you have your favourite set of strings on the bass, and have set up the action and intonation the way you like it. Using your favourite amp, cab and pedals on stage will help you enjoy the experience more, because you will be wrapped in 'your sound', at least in the backline, at gig volume.
    In order to find all this wonderful gear that just 'makes you want to play', you have to try a lot of different items. That usually implies buying, testing, and selling on if unsuitable.
    Once you are finally happy with 'your rig', why acquire more than one instrument and amplification device? Because not all music styles are best served by the same combination of gear. The strings you love on one bass may be unsuitable to a different music genre you may like to play. In one band you may need a 5-stringer as opposed to a 4, or you may need a bass that's tuned half a step down as opposed to just having a Hipshot on the E. Hell, you may even need a 5-stringer where all the strings are tuned down an entire tone! You may love the sound of valves but refuse to carry a very heavy head to a gig, and instead opt for your 'other' amp, a good quality, lightweight class D. And then have a portable backup, such as the tiny Trace Elliot Elf, 'just in case'. ;)
    If you play more than one instrument, repeat the above for your additional instrument(s). [Don't get me started on double bass!]
    Need I go on...? \m/ :D \m/

PaulS, Florin, Toepfer and 2 others like this.
  9. RIP

RIP California U.S.A. Supporting Member

The title of the video "Does Gear Mater" is misleading to its context.

Adam keeps referring to Victor and his Fodera to his brother and his Squier, basically asking can you play better with a higher priced piece of gear.

Of course gear matters to get the tone you want. Thats why I play Warwicks, nothing sounds like a Thumb but a Thumb.....it's a stupid question really

The title of the video should be according to the context "Does higher priced equipment make you a better player"......which is still a subjective question

Hardy likes this.
  10. bluejay

bluejay

Absolutely. And there's no answer to that, really. You have to choose what feels best in your hands, hanging from your shoulder, reaching your ears etc. For instance, the vast majority of high-end basses are bigger than it's comfortable for me as a petite bass player, so I tend to play Corvettes. Would a scaringly expensive Custom Shop Corvette help me play better than a Rockbass Corvette? Perhaps the precious woods, better electronics and higher attention to detail in the manufacturing process *might* make me feel like the bass is playing itself. I don't know - I only ever handled right-handed Custom Shop basses, so I couldn't feel the difference properly. The main problem Warwick basses have for me is their weight, so I could have fallen in love with my SG Nanyo Bass Collection, which is perfect from the point of view of size, shape and weight. BUT - I don't like the lacquer on its neck, which I find a bit sticky, and I *hate* the sound of the P pickup.
    Each person is different, just like each bass is different. :)

Florin and RIP like this.
  11. ectoflanger

And they smell better too!

12. ectoflanger

So true...so true

13. Foal30

Foal30 Supporting Member

Without attempting to justify an "expensive purchase" buying a L2 Steinberger was the best thing I ever did for my left hand (fretting) technique.

The quality or at least clarity of the instruments build forced me to tidy up.

ectoflanger and bluejay like this.
  14. MaxOnBass

MaxOnBass The Chatbox Troll

Gear in general matters, yes.. but you matter more.. but, the gear that makes you better at being you, that gear matters most (but not more than you, you are always the most important little snowflake)!

In other words, (IMHO and IME) gear matters only if it makes you better and if it is “on your level”. Give a coal shoveler a 15k Fodera and he will most probably use it to shovel coal. Give that Fodera to a teenage kid in a punk band and you’ll get some figurative coal shoveling. Now, give that Fodera to Vic Wooten and musically you will be hit in the face by a shovel.
    (This post has been sponsored by Fodera and shovel stores)

If it inspires you to play the same beat up Squier P bass every day, than that’s good.. and if getting a new bass makes you wake up early in the morning to gawk at its celestial beauty and to practice playing awesome grooves on it, then that’s good too..
    So, gear doesn’t matter, you matter (or in some shape, you energy).

Yeah, this post made no sense because life is hard and I’m out of gummy bears, sorry.

Stainless, adi, ectoflanger and 5 others like this.
  15. Toepfer

Toepfer Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

OK - tis is about guitars, but it kind of fits the theme.

Of course the 6k guitar sounds different but you can hear who the guy is playing it with the cheep ones too.

Hector, adi, RIP and 1 other person like this.
  16. kimgee

kimgee Wenge Taste Tester Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Obviously, gear matters. But, as can be seen from the responses here, it matters for different reasons to different players. Some are after a certain sound, while others are looking for superior playability. And concerning playability, what is spot on for one player, another may find unacceptable. We all have our own tastes and desires, which, to make things even more complex, have a tendency to change over time. So, the lesson to be gained here is - buy as many basses as you can afford! :D

adi and RIP like this.
  17. ectoflanger

So well spoken bro! For me it’s a balance- though beauty is a plus, it’s practical playability and quality of build that matter most (well almost). You know even top professionals have admitted that a new piece of gear give them a boost-

adi and MaxOnBass like this.
  18. ectoflanger

I got mine admittedly because it was one of two holy grail basses, the other being the Thumb NT 5. But I definitely agree about the clarity and accuracy of the neck of the Steinberger. Also, I don't have to worry about banging the headstock whilst playing on the boat. My Corvette 4 got a few accidental knocks before I got used to the long necks of a bass.

19. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

I reckon Fieldy lives on a boat too? Or in a toilet.

[​IMG]

adi likes this.
  20. jester

jester Moderator Moderator

Perhaps Fieldy himself is headless. Or I am headless. Who knows.