Compressors.....with Poll

Discussion in 'Your Music' started by RIP, Dec 6, 2017.

?

Do you use Compressors....

1. Always

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Sometimes

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Never

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. RIP

RIP California U.S.A. Supporting Member

Do you use them some of the time, all the time, never?

Why or why not?

Note, I’m hoping we will all be civil and respectful……sometimes these conversations can get ugly

2. Augie

Augie The Desert Bass-ape

Never but I need one! probably as an end-of-chain-limiter. I tend to stack pedals and the sound guys tend to dislike the spikes a wah(with boost)+fuzz+distortion creates...hopefully I can get some tips from this thread.

RIP likes this.
  3. RIP

RIP California U.S.A. Supporting Member

When I started playing 35 years ago, they were not really popular. So I've pretty much never really used them until doing solo slap recordings (which I've posted here). I probably need them on all my recordings but on the slap stuff especially when switching from fingers to the slap technique I really could hear the spikes.....so I voted sometimes

4. 3alfa3

3alfa3

I dont play live, just in my House and through Headphones. Still, i always use Compressor (transparent one).
    But i use moderate Compression (Compression range between -1 and -6db).
    The rest of the settings as shown in the picture. IMAG2030.jpg

jester and RIP like this.
  5. Hardy

Hardy Good Vibe Sponsor

I have an EBS Multicomp on my pedal board. Always switched off. Still I am willing to try to understand its benefits one day. ;)

RIP likes this.
  6. jester

jester Moderator Moderator

I always use compression, although moderate. I switch between finger/pick/slap and my output levels vary quite a lot, low to high in order of mention. I put the compressor after my eq pedal (Aguilar Tone Hammer). I sometimes do quite drastic tone shaping and I find this introduces imbalances in certain areas of the instrument. Compression evens things out, then my distortion pedal (MXR M80 DI+) growls nicely all over the fingerboard.

I used to have a nice TC Electronic head at some point, didn't like it much but it had a fantastic compressor at the input. I was hoping that they would make it a standalone pedal. And they did. I'm thinking of getting one of these for its simplicity.

SpectraComp Bass Compressor | TC Electronic

RIP likes this.
  7. 3alfa3

3alfa3

Generally (not a rule, of course), if someone cut on EQ, EQ should be before Compressor. If someone boost on EQ, Compressor should be before EQ.
    There is some logic behind this (what part (frequency) of Bass sound will trigger Compressor in what amount and how will Compressor deal with Bass sound as a whole). Especially if you cut or boost a great amount.
    I did a test, and if EQ corrections are big, it does sounds different in that context.
    But for moderate EQ corrections, not that important.

jester likes this.
  8. Nightmaresandconclusions

Nightmaresandconclusions

I have my compressor on all the time and I find it makes my bass sing. I have a cali76 with the iron transformer option, Its a big pedal but dam it sounds so good.

Based on a 1176 iconic compressor.

Origin-Effects-Cali76-STD-TX-LP-Review-Best-Compression-Pedals-01[1].jpg

bassment73 and RIP like this.
  9. jester

jester Moderator Moderator

Thanks for the hints. I usually only cut so I guess I'm ok with that. A little bass (shelving 40Hz), perhaps a little treble (4.5KHz), and then the major shaping is done by cutting a certain mid frequency with a sweeping notch filter, that frequency depends on the specific bass I am using. I find that the sweep is powerful enough to shape the tone to my wishes to a 90% degree.

10. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member Warwick Endorser Supporting Member

Sometimes I use it, sometimes not, most of the time the FOH guy has one for me there.
    I think compressor is pretty important, not to cover dynamics mistakes, but to make the bass sit better in the mix. The only rule for me is to use it in a pretty discrete way, I like to feel my dynamics.

RIP and jester like this.
  11. 3alfa3

3alfa3

Same here (when used as a tool).
    When used as an effect, different story - and different Compressor(s).

But, i use it as a tool for reason you mentioned (and to accentuate Transients)

Florin likes this.
  12. bassment73

bassment73

For live playing I'm a compression always on type of guy (but compression that just tames peaks and is subtle). I currently use an MXR M87 and find this to be the most transparent and comprehensive pedal based compressor I have used. In the past I have owned Aguilar TLC, MarkBass Compressore and Cali 76-TX. To be fair, the Cali 76-TX was also excellent (but expensive) but it had to run on 18v supply and I prefer my pedalboard to run on a single 9V 1A centre negative supply.

For recording I always use VST compressors via my DAW, so I have some flexibility.

RIP likes this.
  13. 3alfa3

3alfa3

I had it and liked it. Yes, it is transparent(ish), but no comparison to Keeley Compressor Pro when transparency is in question. So, if you're into transparent Compressor pedal - Keeley, Empress.....

bassment73 likes this.