Building A Mini Cab 2x8"

Discussion in 'Bass Amps & Cabinets' started by gasserx, Sep 10, 2017.

1. gasserx

gasserx

Okey...im a huge fan of BIG-RIGS, and im in love with Trace Elliot since before i was a teenager (when i could not afford one).
    But now i really need a micro-rig to bring with me when im going to smaller partys with my bandmembers where they play acoustics. I have played an acoustic bass a few times, but it doesnt cut through at all, so i need a little bit of power to help it.
    I do have a huge urge to buy the new Trace Elliot Elf, and one of the cabs - but got damn they are expensive (the cabs)!
    I do already have a MarkBass Nano Mark 300 (class D amp) that i can use as a starter. Maybe i`ll buy an ELF later on as its just 700 grams - half the weight of the Nano.^

But i will build the cab myself, so i ordered a couple of Faital Pro 8" drivers. It will be a 4 ohm cab. To keep cost at a minimum, i will reuse some hardware from an old Trace Elliot combo that i have kept for parts.
    I`ll update when i progress... "diy thread" :D

Anyone with experience building cabs here? Wonder how thick plywood i must use as a minimum? Want to keep the weight down... :)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  2. RIP

RIP California U.S.A. Supporting Member

I never have built a cab, but I know there is a whole science behind it.....that I know nothing about :(

Since you ordered your drivers through Faital, can you go back to them for some advice?

If not, is Faital part of the Greenboy family? I heard they have a CAD site that will help you design custom cabs

Here's something I found that might get you going??

fEARful™ enclosures for bass/drums/keys

3. gasserx

gasserx

Dont think the drivers will be here before next week, so i got some time to read.
    But i dont need extreme power small size cabs.... just something that give me that little extra sound from the acoustic bass :D

4. Henrythe8

Henrythe8 Supporting Member Dolphin Hoarder

Stop making those DIY cab stuff. It's bad for my GAS.
    I'm thinking of a twin 6x8". Yes something like a 12x8" cab, that I can use in single or twin mode for bigger venues.
    I can't think about small stuff, though. Your idea is great, but yes, there is some science involved, expecially regarding the volume of the box, presence of vents, position of those vents... and it all depends on the speaker you put in. So yes, definitely take some advice at Faital.
    Of what I heard, the enclosure is mainly made of birch wood. I would stay away from MDF, but a good plywood would be an option.

5. gasserx

gasserx

:D
    I guess it will make this a trial and error (or not), but i`ll read myself up on the topic before i receive the drivers...
    But i have found out that thick birch plywood is the best way to go.

6. gasserx

gasserx

What the h#¤%..... When i got an idea, i just have to start working :D
    So, i could not find any shop with either decent MDF OR plywood! And i got 5 huge warehouses in my town.
    But, i had some 20mm PINE wood in my garage, and took them down to a friend, and we cut what was needed. Now i have the cab glued and screwed together (except the front panel, wich is just mocked up for the moment for fitment).
    Doesnt look THAT good yet, but i need it to dry before i go over it. It weighs 5.8kg now, so with drivers it should be around 10kg. Perfect to drag around..

I need to make som decent bracing inside the cab, and install speakong port, and the front will be moved a little bit in so i can fit a grille or something to protect the speakers.
    Maybe even add a bassport or two...not sure yet.
    Just going to use it with my acoustic bass to keep the volume with the acoustic guitars..so..

Attached Files:

• cab.jpg
      cab.jpg
      File size:
      51.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    PaulS and RIP like this.
  7. RIP

Right on!......looks good man

Make sure you keep us posted because I want to see the final results

gasserx likes this.
  8. gasserx

gasserx

Yes i sure will do :D
    Might not be any good at all, but then i just redo it. Im not going to cover it with rat-fur or toolex before i have tested it.
    Now i just have to wait for the drivers to arrive.

Here is a pic with the Markbass Nano on top.

Btw, its about the same size as the new Trace Elliot ELF 2x8" cab..

Attached Files:

• cab2.jpg
      cab2.jpg
      File size:
      110.1 KB
      Views:
    RIP likes this.
  9. Augie

Augie The Desert Bass-ape

Any baffles in there or is it just a plain sealed box? Im not sure on the physics but generally cabs tend to have a weird set of baffles, particularly if you will port it. I think its to stop weird standing waves forming and ether doing bad stuff to your sound or wearing your speakers prematurely.
    I know eminence have software available to get the internal volume and porting optimised for their speakers, there might be some stuff available for other brands as well

10. gasserx

gasserx

Not quite sure yet, i must research a little bit more. But might do...
    I have this old TE kabinett/combo that i will use some parts from, but i cant say there are no baffles in there. But they dont have ports either.
    More reading to do :)

11. gasserx

gasserx

:D:D:D
    Haha, just for the kicks of it.. cut out a front from an old TE cab that im going to use.

Attached Files:

RIP likes this.
  12. RIP

gasserx likes this.
  13. gasserx

gasserx

Made the bracing inside and glued/screwed the front in place. Sanded it also... Next is sanding even more and make a frame for the front panel/grille.
    Think i'll paint it to keep the cost down...doesnt really matter as long as it works as suspected.
    Also bougt some cheap handles to mount on the sides.

Attached Files:

da-vonk likes this.
  14. gasserx

gasserx

Oh no :( Drivers will be delayed, and probably not delivered before next month.

15. gasserx

gasserx

Cab painted!

Attached Files:

RIP likes this.
  16. Dazed

Dazed Good Vibe Sponsor

Wallowing in the blood and mud with all the other
    Any update Gasserx?

Curious how those drivers worked out as I'm in the market for one for small project.

17. gasserx

gasserx

Yes, sorry, i forgot.....
    Its done, and i have been using it for quite a while now. Works very well also :)